Over 70 million households worldwide have pets. We all have pets because we love them, love their company but any person who has a pet knows pet accidents happen at one time or another. It can be frustrating and potentially damaging. Sometimes cats or dogs that are fully trained still have accidents, it happens and cannot be avoided. Pet urine, feces and vomit, although may look relatively harmless can react quickly with what they are on whether it is a carpet, oriental rugs, or wooden floor boards. The important thing is to know how to deal with the accidents quickly and efficiently. Our team of experts is trained to handle all your pet damage need.
Facts you need to know about pet damage in your carpet:
- Urine deposited on carpets does not stay on the surface. It also penetrates the fibers and contaminates both the backing of the carpet, the pads and the flooring material below the carpet
- As urine dries and becomes more acidic the moisture evaporates but the urine crystals become more concentrated and pungent. Simple cleaning will not remove odor. In fact, urine crystals are re-activated by moisture. This is why urine odor becomes more noticeable as humidity increases.
- Urine can also cause permanent color damage, either from adding color by dying the carpet fibers or removing color by bleaching out the carpet fibers.
- Urine odor occurs when the alkaline crystals are created as the acid in the urine reacts with the ammonia. These highly hygroscopic salts pull moisture from the air and remain slightly damp. When damp they stay active chemically. As long as the salts stay active, they will produce ammonia gas.
- Ammonia gas is one of the parts of urines distinctive odor, which helps to locate and identify urine. Off-gassing from bacteria is another one of urines distinctive odors. The off gassing from the bacteria occurs while it is growing.
- Pet stains are one of the hardest stains on carpet and upholstery. The initial cleaning is the most effective and important removal opportunity. Stains can be permanent if not properly treated the first time. It is advisable to call upon a professional carpet cleaning service that knows how to effectively treat and correct the issue.
When it comes to pet damage whether from urine, feces or vomit, it is important to act quickly and take care of deep down cleaning and not just surface cleaning. For this, it is best to call on the professional carpet cleaners who know how to neutralize the offending items and take care of all the secondary cleaning in as short a time as possible. If you have pet damage, call the professionals at George Ayoub Carpet & Rug Care to insure longevity of your carpets and rugs.